Frequently Asked Questions about Stewardship:
Why should I give to Trinity?
All funding for Trinity comes through direct, personal giving. Trinity does not have an endowment fund and does not receive monies from any outside source.
Why should I give money? I already volunteer at the church and/or in the community.
Because we are a body who loves and cares for each other and our neighbors, we are called by God to give of our time, talent and money. We honor God by sharing from His abundance in each of these areas.
What is “tithing?”
Tithing is God’s command to the People of God given in the Bible (Leviticus 27:30, for one example). A “tithe” is 10% of one’s produce or income. God makes it clear that the tithe is to be given first, before any other spending. God calls this giving the “first fruits” because God gives to us first, so we return our tithe to God “first.” Those who have given consistently (tithed) can attest to the strengthening of faith and the joy in sharing that it brings.
How do I start to give that much? I’m not there yet.
People growing in faith often find brand new challenges to that faith. Two thoughts might help you as you seek to grow in your faithfulness to God in tithing. 1.) Learning to tithe is a process. All people of faith find Jesus meeting them with love “where they are.” 2.) Many have used the method of “graduated tithing” to bring them to a full tithe to the church. “Graduated tithing” means that one starts with a percentage of one’s income that they can give; then, each year, one adds to that percentage until a tithe to the church is reached.
How is the money I give spent?
There are many ways to look at our budget. Here is one: (numbers are approximate for ‘09).
- Operations = 23% (Heat, cleaning, improvements, office expense, member services...)
- Mission = 18% (Missionaries, Presbytery, mission organizations, seminary students...)
- Program = 9% (Worship, fellowship, children, youth, adult ministries, discipleship...)
- Personnel = 50% (Paid staff)
Can I designate where my money goes?
By check – note which fund(s) you designate in the memo area
By cash – place cash in an offering envelope and designate fund on the outside
Online – Note that all online giving goes into Trinity’s General Fund. If you wish to designate
a fund please give using a paper check or cash.
How can I give to Trinity?
There are several ways:
1. Our website allows online giving via debit cards, check cards, credit cards and electronic checks. (An electronic check is an electronic payment made directly from your checking account).
2. You can place cash or checks in the offering plate at Trinity services.
3. You can mail checks to Trinity’s office at the address below.
4. You can drop off cash or checks at Trinity’s office during office hours Monday through Thursday.
Trinity’s address: Trinity
12310 Lorraine Street
Anchorage, Alaska 99516